Waterloo Region's advanced technology prowess is in large part a function of the presence of a world-class Research Community, represented by colleges, universities, research institutes, and enterprises, that generate very significant innovation and talent.
Excellence in Post Secondary Education
The universities and colleges in the Waterloo Region have extensive relationships with industry in the pursuit of research and development with market perspective. These relationships exist in several ways, through direct industry funding of research projects, to participation/funding related to Research Chairs, to funding/participation in Research Institutes at the local university/college, Ontario (Provincial Centres of Excellence), or Canadian (Networks of Centres of Excellence) level.
- Consistently ranked Canada's #1 "Most Innovative," "Leaders of Tomorrow," and Canada's top "Comprehensive University" (Maclean's).
- Known world-wide for its leading computer science, mathematics and engineering programs. Arguably the largest pool of math and computer science talent in the world.
- Recognized as the most successful technology commercialization university in Canada, the University of Waterloo is responsible for 28 percent of all high-tech firms born in Waterloo Region.
- Council of Ontario Universities Research Matters - University of Waterloo
- Unique Intellectual Property policy (ownership remains with inventors).
Commercialization Centres and Research Parks:
- One of Canada's most research-intensive universities (Maclean's).
- Best known for its agri-bio, natural and physical sciences, social sciences and humanities programs.
- Areas of academic and research expertise include agriculture, veterinary science, animal biotechnology, molecular biology, food technology, chemistry, biochemistry, genetics and animal breeding and physics.
- External research funding of $100 million annually.
- MOUs with 30 Canadian universities & research institutes.
- Council of Ontario Universities Research Matters - University of Guelph